Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A little thing called Swiss Meringue Buttercream...

Everyone, I have a confession to make; I am in love. Do you see that cake up there? The one with the shiny smooth frosting...it has won me over. Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMB as most bloggers call it) is totally going to change the way I bake from now on.


I have grown especially tired of the too sweet frostings and have since been using mainly cream cheese based icing on things I have baked recently. But cream cheese frosting can only go so far. Finally this past week, I got up the courage to try out SMB. Tom celebrated a birthday on Thursday, so I grabbed my butter, sugar and egg whites and got to it. SMB seems to get mixed reviews from people so I was not sure what to expect when I tried it; I actually thought I had royally screwed up this batch. When I added my butter, it deflated to a very liquid like texture. To say I was mad was an understatement. But I did my research and found that SMB is extremely forgiving and almost impossible to mess up. I dug deep for some patience, put it in the fridge for 15 minutes, re-whipped it and BOOM. Perfect. I grabbed a big spoonful to sample and OH. MY. GOD. I had found my perfect match. The texture is just pure silk and the taste has the perfect touch of sweetness. This is the frosting I will be using from here on out. Pictures of this would have helped, but it was a little difficult to try and take photos when I was whisking constantly throughout this whole process.
So onto the decorating of this cake. The vision I had in my head was quite a bit different then how it actually turned out. I realize how spoiled I am at work with all of my tools when I try to do things at home.
I made a boat, fishing pole and wood sign out of gum-paste and fondant, painted them and assembled them on the cake.




I finally got to use my edible markers!

Yes, that is supposed to be a fishing pole...not a hot dog.
The cake was "cute". I had planned on covering the entire thing on blue fondant, but when I went to roll it out I realized I did not have enough. Typical me. But Tom seemed to like it, and my mom and I are still picking at the cake. Did I mention how amazing the frosting is?
Don't be intimidated by it...give it a try, you will not be disappointed.
Oh, and don't worry, this is a total diet friendly frosting. ;)
Here is a great step-by step and recipe

And happy birthday Tom!!

No comments: