Sunday, July 17, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes



Those of you who are fans of my blog on facebook (which I would love if you would take the second to "like"!) have already seen the breast cancer cupcake toppers that I did. Last night I finally made the cupcakes that the toppers would go on.

A co-worker of my sisters recently found out that she had breast cancer, and I really wanted to bake some nice cupcakes for her. Also this was (somehow) my first time baking red velvet cupcakes. I decided to use a box mix after talking to a friend about it who had used pretty much the same recipe I was going to. She said that she made them from scratch and from a box, and people actually preferred the box mix. Sold. The frosting is what really the important part of these anyways, right?





I was very excited to decorate these!!

Allison has a really good sense of humor, so I made some "I heart boobs" ones just for her

Little fondant flowers with some leaf piping



I tried to pipe some boobs on the far left one...The bottom 2 ended up being covered up with flowers. I blame the wine


Fondant ribbons





I loved how these ones turned out







These flowers covered up the messy boob ones =]


Yikes...we had had some drinks... =]

I had a few extra that I just decorated with sanding sugar.


A couple weeks ago I also bought some edible glitter dust. So after the cupcakes had firmed up in the fridge overnight, I tried out the glittery dust on the cakes.



The shimmer was very subtle; it added just a touch of elegance to these cupcakes. I was so happy with how these turned out and I cannot wait to see how Allison likes them. I wish her the best and hope she has a very speedy recovery!!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wow those are so pretty!!