Friday, December 28, 2012

3...2...1...

I can now officially announce that I have been asked to be a full time baker and decorator at Sarah Jane's. I, of course, happily accepted. I wish I could express how incredibly lucky I feel to have gotten this job, but trust me, this is a very big deal to me.


As most of you know, I debated about Pastry School for a very, very long time. I had acceptance letters from both the CIA and the French Pastry school and I figured out that I could not financially afford either of those paths at the time.
I had a great starting off point as a decorator when I was living in St. Cloud, but I knew that was just a starting off point for me. I did a stage at a restaurant in St. Paul and figured out very quickly that it was not the direction or the atmosphere that I wanted.
So here I am just a few short months later working with two great bakers who believe in me and are willing to teach me all that they know.
I feel like I am officially an adult.
So after the New Year, I will start my new position.
I did want to make sure that I shared this cake with all of you. Around Halloween, I spoke at great lengths with a guy about a cake for his "foody" friends. (the finished product can be seen HERE) Then in early December, he called me again and raved about that Halloween cake and said he needed another one for a New Years Eve party. He gave me complete freedom with the cake.
The design I chose was rather simple, but I think it has a very elegant and classy look as well as being fun and festive.
I did some very simple fondant ribbons and sprayed everything over with pearl spray to give it a nice shimmer. I also added shimmer dust and edible stars. At first I wasn't too thrilled with it, but after I added little pearls for the minute marks and threw some more glitter on,  I thought it was perfect.
When he came in to pick up the cake on Christmas Eve, his face was priceless. These little moments with people are why I love my job so much.






These were all before I added the starts and pearl minute marks






I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and have an even happier New Year. I am very eager to see what 2013 has in store for me!

1 comment:

Coccinelle Creative said...

Congratulations beautiful blog and beautiful creations, good compliments! See you soon and happy Sunday! http://coccinellecreative.blogspot.it/