Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My first "order"


If you are a fan of my Facebook page, you have probably already seen this pictures. However, I still wanted to update on this cake.
Besides decorating cakes at Cashwise, I also work on-campus in the career services office. My boss asked me to make a cake for her 4 year old daughter's birthday party, of course I very excited to do so!
The only bad thing was, she needed a half sheet cake; I do not own a pan that big. I had planned on making the cake myself and buying the extra things I needed from work (edible image). Since she needed that size, I had to do it all at work.
It was a half sheet marble cake with whipped frosting. Her daughter loves princess' so I wanted to add as much to it as possible while still making it look good.

I had one major concern about this cake: the whipped frosting. Whipped frosting is so so good, but it does not hold color well at all. The colors tend to bleed very easily and airbrushing really doesn't work on whipped. Her daughter's birthday was Sunday, but due to other things she had going on, the cake had to be picked up on Friday. I went over it in my head...the cake going out looking great and when she went to show it to her daughter on Sunday it would be a bleeding mess.

Half sheet. Enough to feed about 50 people.

Piling on the whipped frosting. It is a lot, but a huge amount gets taken off during the smoothing process.

All covered. Next, time to smooth it out!

All smooth, ready to start decorating.

I really wanted to airbrush the sides bright pink, but since it was whipped, I couldn't Instead I did a really thin line of lavender around the bottom of the cake.

This was the edible image I picked out for the cake. It is a frame image meaning I could add her daughter's picture to it,

The little gaps at the top and bottom were airbrushed purple to make the space look less harsh. (How adorable is her daughter?!)

Image on, as well as the princess toys I also used.



The toys were a set to a totally different cake decoration, but I had to add some toys to this cake! =]

Little frosting hedges behind the princess' with some "flowers".





Way too many leaves, but luckily they get covered up at the end.

I was very happy with how my writing turned out! I wrote it out in white first (to make sure I wrote straight and to easily fix any mistakes) then went over it in pink. It actually make the words look better (in my opinion), I liked the shadow look it gave.
The pink border on the bottom turned out great against the purple spray. I chose that blue for the top border mainly to make her eyes pop even more in the photo. Also it matches her cute little headband!

I added little drop flowers also to the sides.


Final product! The white rose in the lower left corner is a toy ring, it definitely helped break up the overload of leaves!


I was so thrilled that I was able to do this cake. My boss told me yesterday that he daughter told her the cake was her favorite part of her birthday. I almost teared up =] It was such a fun cake to make and I am so glad Lydia enjoyed it! Just wanted to share it on here so everyone could have a chance to see it.

1 comment:

Mary said...

You did a wonderful job. It's no wonder she was pleased. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. You've created a great spot for your readers to visit and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary