Monday, September 26, 2011

Na na na na na nana ananana BATMAN

Yup, Batman cupcakes. A few months ago, my brothers best friend had a birthday. Since i don't live in Minneapolis anymore, I promised him that the next time I was back, I would make him cupcakes. That happened to be this past weekend. I asked him what kind he would like, and to my surprise, he picked something pretty simple and basic: vanilla cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Of course there was something different he wanted on them...Batman. As simple as these cupcakes sounded, I did have a bit of a hard time with them.

I follow a lot of blogs that come up with their own recipes. After making 2 batches of these cupcakes, I know I am not a patient enough person to go through several failures to achieve a recipe. I will just take their perfected ones, I hope they don't mind. :) I found a recipe that claimed to be "the perfect vanilla cupcake," with a title like that, how could I not try it? The recipe warned that it was a thinner batter, so I was prepared for the soup-like texture, but now for the mess that it created.
This was the first time I was able to use my silicone baking cups, I was excited.

Very thin, but this is what it was supposed to look like, right?


Aaaand out come these disasters. Blistered tops and the WORST texture I have ever had in a cupcake!

Looked sort of like corn bread, but trust me, they tasted like a mix between nothingness and 5 day old sitting out on the counter water. Yeah.


I was mad. This is a terrible picture, but it describes my feeling towards these cupcakes perfectly. 
Look, I went back and looked at the recipe. I had to have forgotten something, mixed something weird..SOMETHING. But honestly guys, I followed it. So I have no idea why they turned out like this. I was so bummed I did not even want to make another batch. But, Carlson was counting on me to supply his birthday cupcakes, I couldn't disappoint. I went back online to always wonderful mybakingaddiction and found a different recipe for the cupcakes. Round 2.
What a difference in the batter!

No soup, just silky vanilla goodness!


These came out perfect!

Pale, fluffy, perfect!



Dollop of frosting that would get flattened for the Batman images.







This recipe turned out amazing! The cupcakes were so silky and fluffy, if I hadn't promised them to Carlson, I would have had no trouble eating them all myself. The frosting was vanilla cream cheese which perfectly complemented the cakes. My work let me purchase some edible images, so I found one that I liked of the Batman logo and used them for the cupcakes.

I can't wait to hear what Carlson thinks of them!!

2 comments:

Uncle said...

You are the best Bri

Mary Bergfeld said...

These look and sound wonderful. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. You've created a great spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary