Sunday, April 15, 2012

Fruit Tart






There is a reason I look so happy in this picture. Fruit tart may just be one of my favorite desserts. I can never get sick of it or eat too much of it. Trust me, I have tried. You may recall that I am making it a goal to bake something at least once a week. My blog is sick of being abandoned and I am sick of not baking! So to kick start this week, I baked dessert for a dinner party last night. 

One of the things I love about this dessert is that it isn't overly sweet therefore it doesn't make you feel bloated or guilty for indulging in dessert. I mean, it has fruit on it so it has to be really healthy. Also, even though it is a bit time consuming, it is relatively easy to make. Plus there are a few waiting periods, so if you have other things to get done you can definitely multitask in-between steps.
The first step is getting your dough for the crust made.This used to be the step that took me the longest, but thanks to a little tool called a food processor (still not sure how I had never used one before) it took about 2 minutes.
A crust that has this much butter can never be bad.





Dough formed and ready to be chilled for 30 minutes.

 When I have made this in the past, the sides of my crust always fell. Somehow I do not have pie weights in my supplies, so I have always tried to get by without it. Apparently it's key in holding up the sides of the crust. Who knew. So going into this step, I was getting more and more nervous with visions of collapsing crust going through my head.

dough pressed into the tart pan


When you don't have pie weights, a pile of rice is what you trust to hold your sides up.


The sides didn't fall!!! 

Making the pastry cream is the last big step.





 It tasted pretty darn good. Even more so at 4AM! Next time I will add a lot more fruit when it isn't ridiculously expensive. I love raspberries, but not at 5$ for a little pack of them.
The recipe I used was from William Sonoma. There are many different versions but I find this one to be pretty simple.
Try it out, you won't regret it. =]
Click here for the recipe



1 comment:

Amanda(: said...

OMG! This looks delish! When do you start the CIA? I was moved up to September 10th! So much earlier and I start the same time that the public schools in my area start! So excited!