Monday, April 30, 2012

More birthday delicious-ness!

Birthday cupcakes! I helped celebrate the birthday of one of my oldest friends yesterday, the big 2-6! I couldn't think of a better dessert to bring than champagne cupcakes.

I made the cake from scratch using this recipe. They turned out really well. The champagne came through nicely although if I make it again, I will add a bit more. Also the cakes were pretty dense, but not heavy...if that makes any sense. Overall I was happy with them and they were super easy to throw together.
I used the same recipe from my last post to make the SMB, and I have some pictures this time.
The egg whites and the sugar are whisked constantly over simmering water.



They are ready to take off the heat when they reach around 140 degrees

Then they are whipped...and whipped...and whipped...and whipped
When the pan is neutral to the touch, but butter is added. One...cube...at...a...time. And yes, that is 5 sticks of butter cubed up there!




After you add the butter, the meringue will deflate but come back together after awhile. This batch for some reason gave me A LOT of trouble. Looking back, I don't think I got to stiff peaks before I added the butter, but to be honest I am really not sure what happened. To make a long story short, I had to put it in the fridge 3-4 times and then re-whip it and it would STILL not come together; it was soupy and had a cottage cheese like texture to it. Time was winding down and I thought I was going to have to pull the plug on the cupcakes all together. Luckily my mom stepped in at the 11th hour and cranked up the mixer, I had left in on low since that is what the recipe had said. Mother knows best, right? Of course, it came together perfectly. I have now realized that SMB is the most forgiving frosting I have ever delt with. The champagne taste wasn't really present in the frosting, but at the time I was so happy that it came together, I didn't want to fuss with it anymore.
At the beginning of this post was a picture of gumpaste rounds with writing on them. I sprayed them with pearl spray and was going to put one on each cake. After some thought and advice from my mom, I decided to scrape the idea. I think it would have turned out looking tacky.
So spring flowers it was! Piping with SMB was great and it held up well if not better than regular buttercream.





The cupcakes were a hit at the party, thankfully! I loved them myself. The champagne still came through at the end, just very subtle. This frosting, I just can't get enough of it.
It was great to celebrate with old friends and I can't wait to get back into the kitchen.
I think Tres Leches cake is calling my name...  :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ADY!! 

No comments: