Thursday, May 3, 2012

Tres Leches

Has anyone ever sampled this cake before? Up until last week I had never even really heard of it. However, I was set to do a stage at a restaurant where this was one of their main desserts, so I wanted to take a crack at it to see what I was up against. Oh PS It means, "3 milks". Clearly I need to learn Spanish.

First I wanted to share how I (usually) try to start off my baking adventure. I pull up my recipe on my Kindle, smaller and easier than my laptop to have sitting on the counter.

Then I get all of my ingredients that I will be needing out and get a few bowls and things as well. It really doesn't matter though, I still end up running around like a mad women, and no matter how organized I try to be, I still make a huge mess. Ok, where was I? Reading through the recipe and instructions for this cake was overwhelming. There seemed like a lot of steps which all involved whipping things. My whisk attachment for my Kitchen Aid has gone missing, meaning I have to use a hand mixer all the time. I miss my whisk attachment.

5 eggs separated.


Yolks and sugar.


Yolks and sugar mixing until pale yellow and doubled in volume.


Yolks and sugar folded into the dry ingredients.


Here is where I really miss my whisk attachment, when I need to get egg whites to a stiff peak.




Both mixtures together.


Folded very carefully until just incorporated.



My mom thinks I make too much of a mess. Psht

The cake was actually really easy to put together. Thankfully I was paying attention to it, it was done about 8 minutes before the recipe stated. After it came out of the oven, I flipped it onto a rimmed platter and let it cool fully. In the mean time I got my 3 milks together (heavy cream, sweetened condensed and evaporated) and got ready to poke some holes in this cake. I think the cake is actually really ugly, but luckily the whipped cream frosting will cover the ugliness up.




The 3 milks. Can you see the layers?


holes are made over the entire cake to the milk mixture can soak into it.




This is after the mixture was poured and has absorbed into the cake.


Oh I also added some rum to mine. Why not?


Frosted!



I had a piece of this cake and to be honest, I wasn't thrilled. I don't understand the hype (if there is any) about this cake. There just really wasn't anything to it. Clearly it is supposed to have a soggier texture to it, but it just wasn't for me. I think there are a lot of ways to tweak it and add more subtle flavors to it, but I don't think I would try this again. I also would never order it in a restaurant. Again, it wasn't gross, just a very...um...calmed down cake? What? Meh that's the best I can do :)

Please let me know if any of you have tried this cake before and what your thoughts are. I am very curios about it!

And if you want to try it for yourself, here is the recipe!

No comments: