Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Scribble cupcakes




The weather here in MN has been pretty depressing. One might think that since it is near the end of April, it would be Spring weather. Wrong. Snow, cold, clouds and rain. Due to this frown-friendly weather, I have once again been in a pretty lazy baking mood.



Thankfully, the store by my house has cake mixes on sale so I went on a bit of a cake mix shopping spree. So since I had endless mixes to use, I went the box route.
It has "fun" in the title...perfect!


It was a no-brainer when I had to pick the mix. I wanted these to be some sort of learning experience, so I decided I was going to try and fill these cupcakes. I made a slight adjustment to the mix, I used all egg white in the batter (it gives that tip on the box as well) which made the cakes very light and fluffy, they has almost and angel food cake consistency. Since they were so airy, I was eager to see how filling them was going to work.

The cakes all baked up


In my baking kit for class, we were given a tip tool used for filling bismarks and things like that

Hard to see, but it is # 230


The tip is pretty skinny, so I knew it would be a better route then using an apple corer to hollow out the cupcakes. I tried it on one cake before I did the others; I had a vision of me filling all of the cakes and slowly watching the pudding flood out of the sides. Yeah, the results with the first one were amazing - like 2 bites amazing. I then went on filling the rest of the cakes.
All filled!


Here is where the real laziness set in; frosting the cupcakes. I still had a few left over frosting bags that were colored from making the congratulations cake, so I just wanted to use those up without making any new bags. I used the tip that made the grass look on the baby cake, and even though they look messy, it was a cool messy.


I know, it looks like a little kid decorated these. I had a lot of fun using that tip to frost them. It really felt like scribbling. I wish I would have been ambitious enough to bake when I was a nanny, these would have been a lot of fun to do with the girls I sat.

Curious to see how they look on the inside?

The frosting matched the inside!

The pudding stayed perfectly in the middle of the cake! It was not an overwhelming amount by any means, but it added a nice texture and temperature change.

I had to try another one after I let them sit for awhile JUST to make sure the pudding didn't make the cake soggy after awhile. (Actually that was just an excuse, I really just wanted a second serving!)

Surprisingly, the pudding stayed in place and did not make the cake soggy at all.


I have to admit, I think I am going to stick to using box mixes for awhile. It is a lot less stressful if I am going to be doing a lot of decorating work or working on new techniques.

On a side note, I was in the office while my class was taking a test and a parent was asking me about my major. I actually was happy to answer this. When I told him I wanted to have my own bakery/bake he lit up and said what an awesome career choice it was. For the first time I was happy to tell someone about my career path. He also gave me some really good advice on where to open one and some bakeries to check out around the area.

ALSO! I reached over 500 views on my blog yesterday! (I may or may not have printed the screen at 499 and 500 views) I realize that in the scheme of things this is very minuscule, but it was a really big deal to me. Thank you all SO MUCH for taking time to look at this, and again, for all your support. I also need to thank my editor, Tim, for taking the time to go through and read these posts and actually make them legible.
Thanks again guys, I really do appreciate it! :)

No comments: